HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
crazycompgeek
Administrator
Administrator
crazycompgeek

Male Number of posts : 688
Neopets : crazycompgeek
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Empty
PostSubject: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm

If you find out any glitches, scamming schemes, cookie grabbers or anything that can be harmful to us, please post it here to warn us and help us to be safe from being frozen.
Back to top Go down
crazycompgeek
Administrator
Administrator
crazycompgeek

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:15 pm

From JellyNeo

Quote :
Today is obviously going to be a great day. xD First up, duplicate items. Unlike last Dupe Day, this appears to be smaller in scale. Why? People aren't mass donating the duplicate items. Razz Instead, they're trading them to users by bidding on users' trades. You should also watch out for people sending you items high in value that you haven't asked for. If you get a bid on your trade or get sent some expensive item (such as a Faerie Slingshot) that wasn't solicited, reject the trade. That is currently the safest method.

Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Bak_wizardhat_cookie
Please don't steal me!

Now, onto cookie grabbers. This is the same scam that has been going around Neopets (and other fan sites) for a month or so now. Essentially, they tell users that the link goes to a Item Duplicator, NP Generator, or something that is illegal (and promises you great things if you use it). When you visit the page, the site steals your Neopets cookies and gains access into your account. You should be wary about links that you have never seen before, links that use a free host, links with hosts that sound suspicious, as well as links that jnStaff haven't posted on JN. (Jeesh, that's a long list.)

I suggest hovering over a link and looking at the status bar to see what you're going to be going to regardless of what the link text says. Hover over this. What do you see in the status bar? I would also suggest for you to add a PIN number or make sure that it is enabled for all locations possible. You should also make sure that the email linked to your Neopets account does not share the same password. (That essentially defeats the purpose of the PIN number, as they can just request it. Razz)

If you find that you have fallen for a cookie grabber site, do the following things in order:

1. Change the password to your Neopets account.
2. Change the password to your email account.
3. Report the site to TNT.

If you have been frozen after falling for a cookie grabber, do the following:

1. Submit an Account Access form. Explain that you fell for a cookie grabber scam, and give the page URL to them. You should fill in as many details as you possibly can.
Back to top Go down
j1010101010
Devotee
Devotee

Male Number of posts : 1130
Registration date : 2008-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:20 am

Gosh, too many scams nowadays. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
crazycompgeek
Administrator
Administrator
crazycompgeek

PostSubject: Cookie Grabbers on Neopets   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 11:25 am

I copy this from SunnyNeo.

SunnyNeo wrote:
It appears that Neopets once again has cookie grabbers on the site. They are in user shops as well as on userlookups.

Some people have been pricing the items in their shop well below the average price, ensuring that plenty of people come to the shop, where the cookie grabber is located.

To keep your account secure, we advise you to do the following:

Go here, activate a PIN, and place it on all available areas of the site. PIN numbers cannot be gained by a cookie grabber

Place all items from your inventory into your Safety Deposit Box. You cannot place a PIN on your inventory, but you can place one on your Box.

Change your email here, and not validate the change. This will ensure that if your account is compromised, whoever gets in cannot change the email to which the account is assigned for 24 hours.

We also suggest that you withdraw all neopoints from your shop till, as they will be easy for someone wrongfully in your account to take, as the till does not have a PIN number assigned.

Also, it is recommended that you bank all neopoints, and then proceed to withdraw one neopoint from your bank fifteen times. This locks you out of your bank, only allowing you to deposit neopoints.

And last, but by no means least, you should make sure that your password is not easy to guess. You can change your password here

Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Broken_bag_np
You don't want all of these stolen!

Back to top Go down
j1010101010
Devotee
Devotee

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 1:42 pm

Some nice tips there, that should show them scammers!
Back to top Go down
mash900
Newcomer
Newcomer
mash900

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:15 am

their is a big scam website going around all i know is that it is i think (edited)

crazycompgeek wrote:
don't post the scam/cheat website here
Back to top Go down
danielhoangone
Devotee
Devotee

Male Number of posts : 972
Neopets : danielhoang1

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 1:58 pm

what about if you change your password on a different computer?
Back to top Go down
crazycompgeek
Administrator
Administrator
crazycompgeek

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:15 pm

I think if you change password it will be okie despite the computer.
Back to top Go down
kirra12
Administrator
Administrator
kirra12

Male Number of posts : 436
Neopets : black90_ss
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 4:49 am

http://www.neopets.com/~Locked_Topic
^ Most neopets editorial about things like glitches, scams etc are covered there.
Perhaps it can help us a little,
i have never really experienced getting scammed yet,
but i find the editorials pretty useful.

Last edited by kirra12 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
superxgamer
superxgamer

Male Number of posts : 321
Neopets : stop_the_madness

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 11:24 am

I have been scammed before. It was a trading post scam and i was young.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/mysteryoftheland/
danielhoangone
Devotee
Devotee

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 2:13 pm

but all we have to do is report it.
we should get the stuff back.
Back to top Go down
McKenzieO1
McKenzieO1

Female Number of posts : 230

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 am

Okay after reading this `I Know` how I was scammed ( Twice ) at the Trading Post ( Duplicate Item ) AND Yes ! People have been trying to steal my account since the day I signed up at Neopets ! affraid

( Every month, change pin on ALL things, change password ) .. yep, yep, yep ! geek
Back to top Go down
McKenzieO1
McKenzieO1

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 11:16 am

This is the info. I have gathered so far as to what may have happened on my account:

smartgirl
I found a very interesting pet page guide which better explains cookie grabbers. Also what I found interesting in this explanation is that the writer states that PIN numbers can't be grabbed by cookie grabbers, since PINs are not stored in cookies. So now the question is, how was the hacker able to circumvent your PIN number? Here's the pet page guide:

http://www.neopets.com/~Macky

And here's a script for a cookie grabber ~~ just to see what it actually looks like:

http://www.undergroundnews.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Forum=14&topic=000197&Number=0&site_id=1

Apparently, when you're on Neopets, there are more vulnerabilities using Internet Explorer than Firefox. Anyway, it's always useful to arm ourselves with as much information as possible.

Smartgirl
Well, it`s easy enough to understand how they got into your account. While on one of your shopping trips, you tripped a CGer somewhere along the way...and that person grabbed your cookies and placed your cookies into his/her computer and ran a similar script as the one I gave you a link for...which doesn`t require that person even knowing what your special word is. That person might even have been in your account at the same time that you were in it...and would have lost access to it once you logged out of your account. What I can`t understand is how he/she circumvented your PIN number since you said you had everything in your account pinned. Are you sure you had your gallery, stock portfolio, bank account and shop pinned?

McKenzie01
I am sure, ALL of it was pinned. Along with The Pound, Equipt Pet, SDB. :/

Smartgirl
It sounds to me like you interrupted the theft while it was in progress. I`m sure the hacker would have taken a lot more had you not logged out of your account. It takes time to move items and that amount of neopoints.

It could be that you tripped a CGer while you were logged in during that particular session. There has to be some way that these people can circumvent players` PIN numbers because that`s what would have happened more than a year ago when a hacker got into munsterpoo`s account, and TNT then disabled her account as well as those of featheralley, hrobi and several other big accounts in an effort to protect all of those accounts.

Quote :
Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Fo3xih
Back to top Go down
j1010101010
Devotee
Devotee

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Could it be by any chance that you had a keylogger during that time?
Back to top Go down
McKenzieO1
McKenzieO1

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:58 pm

Keylogger
definition: captures user's keystrokes. used to determine errors in computer systems
neopet.relation: cheaters use it to record what you type, most importantly your username and password.

I can`t say for sure but it certainly seems so. What I do know for sure is that my account WAS HACKED by someone on Neopets. Sad ! confused
Back to top Go down
McKenzieO1
McKenzieO1

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm

I am also thinking, if the hacker was on my account the SAME TIME as I was, they may have been able to get my PIN number by means of this ~Keylogger affraid

It was easy for them to grab my account from cookies, but would need another means of getting my PIN number !!
Back to top Go down
danielhoangone
Devotee
Devotee

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 2:27 pm

when you get scammed, do they notify you in any way?
Back to top Go down
McKenzieO1
McKenzieO1

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 am

Do you mean the person doing the Scamming ? Daniel. Sometimes these people with try to strike up a friendship with you just to detour you from thinking it was THEM who scammed you. In most cases they will never say anything or try to be seen so not to leave a trail of EVIDENCE.
Back to top Go down
danielhoangone
Devotee
Devotee

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 pm

i meant like if they just quietly take stuff from your account, or does it say "you no longer have control of your computer"
Back to top Go down
McKenzieO1
McKenzieO1

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 5:34 am

No Daniel, here on Neopets we don't get these kind of alerts ( unfortunately ) after you've been scammed or your account hacked into. Usually you find that out for yourself in the long run after looking over your account and finding that you have stuff MISSING ( NP's, Items, etc. ).

However, just on your COMPUTER you should get these alerts with whatever Virus Protection Program you have, warning you that something OR someone has accessed your computer and has down loaded ( Whatever ) that can harm your computer.

Does that make sense ? scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...   Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Neopets Glitches, Scamming Schemes, Cookie Grabbers...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Neopets Discussion :: Neopets Related-
Jump to: